Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Kale Nicoise


There is two types of green kale. One is the Scotch type and have gray-green and very curled and crumpled leaves and there is the Siberian type which is blue-green and less curled. I find the Siberian to be more tender and not as bitter.

Today my friend Maria asked me what to do with kale and I thought maybe other people were wondering the same. Some recipes on my blog do include kale but I noticed that I don't have any where the main ingredient is actually kale.

Kale is part of the cabbage family, it's full of vitamin K, A, C and it contains, to name only a few, a very generous amount of manganese, fiber, calcium, Omega 3, etc... Studies have proved that eating kale reduces the risk of cancer (especially ovarian cancer), optimize your cells detoxification, lower cataract risk, promote lung health, boost immune system, slow loss of mental function and much more...

Now, you know why I include kale in my recipes as much as I possibly can (it's great in smoothies and in juices)

Ingredients
2-3 tbsp of olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
1 big garlic clove, minced
Dash of crushed pepper
4-5 cups of kale, cleaned and chopped
1 medium tomato, cubed
1 tbsp capers
10 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
Salt and Pepper

Directions
Heat up olive oil in a medium size skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, add shallot, garlic and crushed pepper and saute for 1-2 minutes or until shallot becomes transparent but not brown. Add kale and saute for 2 minutes or just until it starts wilting. Remove from heat (I just don't like mine to be over cooked, almost in it's raw form, but you can leave it a little longer if you like it more cooked). Add tomatoes, capers, olives, salt and pepper.

Note: if your kale is bitter add a little bit of agave syrup, honey or maple syrup (like a tsp, taste it and add some more if needed)

No comments: