Sunday, July 26, 2009

Shrimp Toast with Poached egg and Spinach


I was visiting the Gourmet website the other day and came across a shrimp toast recipe. I created my own version of it and James and I ate it for a late breakfast/early lunch (well, I guess I could have wrote a Brunch duh!!). I can think of a few people who love this kind of Brunch food so, here it is...
I overcooked my eggs a little, I usually like them a bit runny but it was still delicious!
Serves 4
For the Shrimps
1 pound of deveined, shelved shrimps and roughly chopped
2 scallions, chopped roughly
Zest of 1 lemon
3 tbsp of lemon juice
1 bunch of fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped roughly
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350F
Place everything in food processor until pureed. Lightly toast 4 slices of whole wheat bread. Divide shrimp mixture in 4 and spread over toast (it will be thick, like 1 inch or so). Place on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until shrimps are cooked.
Garnish
1 package of spinach, sauteed in a bit of olive oil in a medium size skillet until just wilted. Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice over them (the lemony taste goes great with the shrimps), add a bit of salt.
4 poached eggs (or fried eggs if you prefer). Poach eggs in simmering water ( to which you added 2 tbsp of vinegar) for 4 minutes, remove with slotted spoon and transfer to plate.
Hot sauce of your choice
Dash of smoked paprika
To plate
Divide spinach in 4 equal portion and spread over the shrimp toasts. Top with poached (or fried) eggs, a bit of your favorite hot sauce and a dash or two of smoked paprika.
A few slices of avocados would be a nice addition.
Bon appetit!

No comments: