Thursday, March 19, 2009

Japenese Noodles with wakame and roasted sesame oil



Wakame is a seaweed and it's rich in protein, calcium, iodine, magnesium, iron and folate. A lower risk of breast cancer have been reported in japenese women eating a diet high in wakame (kelp). Lignans, which help fight cancer are found in high quantity in wakame and may provide protection against certain cancers.

I saw this recipe last night on TV, I liked the ingredients so I thought I would give it a try and guess what??? It's very good (and super duper fast) so I'm sharing it with you. I did change a few things from the original recipe..(you know me) I added fresh cilantro, extra-virgin and organic coconut oil and replaced their veggies for some greens (which we can never have enough of).

Ingredients
1 bundle of Japanese noodles (or soba noodles)
1 tbsp of coconut oil
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp of maple syrup
1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
1/3 cup (full) of wakame seaweed (or other seaweed), soaked in Shoyu (non-pasteurized soy sauce) for 2-3 minutes, drained and chopped
1/2 cup of greens of your choice (kale, mustard, turnip - you can also use raw red and yellow peppers cut in strips)
1 hand full of fresh cilantro

Directions
Boil noodles until just tender, drain and transfer to large bowl, add coconut oil and mix well. Mix all other ingredients in a separate bowl until well combined, add to Japanese noodles, mix well and serve!

No comments: