Sunday, May 10, 2009

Kohlrabi and Goat Cheese Omelet


I had no idea how this dish was going to turn out until the very end, until I had my first bite actually. I was pleasantly surprise I must say. The Kohlrabi was crunchy and sweet. I was afraid the goat cheese would be over powering but it wasn't at all. I served it with an organic sour cream that I dressed with some roasted Serrano peppers and lime juice. It was quite satisfying. I will make it again.
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups of Kohlrabi, julienned with your mandolin
1/2 red onion, cut in half and sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 slices of Alta Dena Raw Goat Cheese (For the ones who live in Enterprise: you can find it at the Living Tree, for the others: if you can't find it, you can use any other goat cheese, just crumble it instead of slicing it)
5 eggs, slightly beaten and seasoned with Celtic salt and a bit of Cayenne pepper
1/2 cup of flat leave parsley, chopped
1 tbsp of quinoa flour
1 avocado, sliced
Drizzle of Olive Oil
Lime slices and Cilantro leave for decoration
Directions
Turn your oven on and set to Broil.
In a medium size non-stick/oven proof skillet, over medium heat, saute the Kohlrabi in olive or coconut oil, stirring occasionally until it's nice and crispy (it will take a little while, like 10 minutes or so). I tried to get it like a hash brown texture. Actually, you could very well substitute the Kohlrabi with Potatoes if you wanted to. When the Kohlrabi is cooked add the slices of goat cheese. Mix the quinoa flour with the eggs, whip to have an even mixture and pour over the Kohlrabi and Goat Cheese. Continue to cook on the stove for 2 more minutes. Transfer to oven, on the top grill and broil for 1 minute or until puffy and brown. Remove from oven. Let cool for a minute. Place a large plate over the skillet and turn it over the plate so the Kohlrabi is facing up. Garnish with the avocado, lime slices and a few dollop of organic sour cream. Drizzle with a bit of first/cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and a few leaves of cilantro and serve.

2 comments:

Una said...

Kohlrabi bulb its new to me.
Love your very healthy recipes. Will visit often!

Myriam said...

Welcome to my site and thanks for visiting me. I appreciate it! Mimi