Monday, May 11, 2009

Oat Groats with Apples, Pecan nuts and Coconut Oil

Oats the ‘cleansing grain.’ They clean your intestinal tract and your blood as well. Oats contain an fabulous balance of amino acids. It’s proteins are almost in perfect proportion to the body’s needs. High in lysine which is often low in other cereal grains, oats bring a real balance to your protein needs. Oats contain high levels of complex carbohydrates which have been linked to reducing the risk of cancer and the better control of diabetes.

Of course the more processed the oat is the less properties you will have from it. So I say: Go for the "real McCoy", the Oat Groats. I much prefer the texture of the Oat Groats, it's not mushy like the Quick or Old Fasion, it's firm and there is a small crunch under your teeth. I love it.

Rinse oat 2-3 times under fresh running water. Simmer Oat until tender (approximately 40-45 minutes - water/oat proportion is 1 to 1). When cooked, remove from pot (drain extra water if necessary), transfer to bowl. While still hot, add 1 tbsp of coconut oil, chopped apples (or other fruit), chopped pecan (or other), 2 tbsp of agave syrup or non pasteurized honey and sprinkle with Chia Seeds.

This breakfast will keep you going all the way to lunch without feeling the urge to snack.

For my Frenchies: Le "Oat Groat" c'est la graine d'avoine et non le flocon.

5 comments:

Mimi said...

Hmm, I don't like regular oatmeal, I wonder if I would like this?

Thanks for stopping by my blog & helping to make my SITS day special!

Beth said...

Stopping by from SITS.

And like Mimi, I don't like regular oatmeal either so this is interesting. It sure looks delicious!

Cammie said...

stopped by from SITS to say hello since I roll called under you today. that looks FANTASTIC!!

Debbie @ OtRD said...

Found your blog at the SITS and so glad I did. Your recipes look amazing. I will have to print some out and try them. I will let you know how they turn out.

Anonymous said...

Wow this looks so delicious. I know i'll have a hard time finding the Oat Groats. We have a walmart here. Could I get it from a health food store you think? We have a lot of those around too. Beautiful food photo too.

My best, Lynn
www.safebeauty.blogspot.com