Saturday, May 9, 2009

Poached Egg with Swiss Chard, and Sauteed Baby Turnips

I got these beautiful baby turnips in my box of veggies from my local CSA this week and they are just delicious. Here is what I did with them this morning.

First I cut them paper thin with my mandolin, then, I slowly sauteed them in 1 full tbsp of coconut oil and sprinkled them with oregano and a bit of celtic salt. The coconut oil gave them a very nice sweet taste and a crunchy bite which was a nice contrast with the greens and the egg.
I sauteed the swiss chard in olive oil on medium heat and I simply added a bit of apple cider vinegar (like 1 tsp, which evaporates as it cooks leaving a sweet slightly tart taste), I added some freshly ground nutmeg, gave it a dash of cayenne pepper and seasoned it with celtic salt.
I then poached the egg in simmering water (you should have enough water in your pot to cover the egg), to which I added 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar (so the egg would keep it's shape together and not spread in the water) for 3 minutes (I like my egg runny).
To assemble it all. I placed one cup (approximately) of greens in the middle of a plate, put the egg on top, the turnips on one side, sprinkled some first/cold pressed olive oil over the egg and a bit around the plate and sprinkled it all with a bit of paprika for the color.

No comments: